Since 1974, Barnstaple has been a civil parish governed by town council. The parish of Barnstaple has a population of 23,700 but the population of the urban area of the town taking in Sticklepath, Roundswell and Bickington is 30,000.
Places of Interest
Barnstaple has a variety of many places of interest to visit which would be a great day out for the family. The many places consists of:
• The Barnstaple museum – Placed on the Barnstaple square The Museum of Barnstaple and North Devon is the perfect way to find out more about North Devon. Their collections and displays cover the natural and human history of this beautiful part of the country.
• The Queen’s Theatre – Local to Barnstaple town centre is The Queen’s Theatre, which is part of the North Devon Theatres group who also own the Landmark Pavilions at Ilfracombe and The Barnstaple Museum. The Queen’s Theatre puts on a variety of acts throughout the years ranging from cabaret to the latest BBC comedians.
• Scott Cinema – This is the place to go when it inevitably rains whilst in Devon They have all the current films and have a wide selection of sweeties. It’s comfy, warm and the staff are always friendly.
• Funder Zone – A great place to take the kids for a party or even a rainy day. The FunderZone is a large, soft play area for children. It’s play area is from the floor to the roof and has many different things to play with like slides, foam balls, ball pits and much more.
• Marwood Hill Gardens – This place is a must for plant lovers of all types, friendly staff fairly easy paths. The cost is well worth it good quality plants for sale and knowledgeable staff. The gardens are not manicured so it is possible to go away with the idea that ” I could do that ” which is something that a lot of places do not do.
Barnstaple has a few ways to travel in, out or around Barnstaple through public transport.
• Barnstaple Railway Station – The Barnstaple Railway station is great way to get into Barnstaple from Exeter or surrounding areas. It’s open 7 days a week, it’s cheap, reliable and fast. It’s located at Station Road in Sticklepath. http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/stations_destinations/BNP.aspx
• Barnstaple Bus Station – Barnstaple has a great Bus system which will take you all over Barnstaple and its surrounding areas. It’s a great way to travel wherever you want to go in Barnstaple and has many different routes and stops to take. http://www.stagecoachbus.com/Default.aspx
• Taxis – Barnstaple has many taxi services operating 7 days a week, 24 hours a day. Barnstaple taxis are also a good substitute for busses as they can pick you up from any location in North Devon and take you to your desired location for a cheap price without the hassle of walking to the nearest bus stop. They are also very convenient if you are looking to have a night-out in town as they can take you there and back without you having to worry about driving yourself. http://www.taxiannebarnstaple.co.uk/